DelanyBrother Alphonsus Delany was elected the first Congregational Leader of the Patrician Brothers in 1888 at the age of forty-five. He arrived in Sydney in 1889 to visit the Brothers and to do what he could to strengthen the Brothers' mission in New South Wales.
His strategy had two main components: to establish a house where young men could be trained as Patricians; and to make the statement that the Patricians were in New South Wales to stay by the establishment of Holy Cross College.
By the time he left Sydney in December 1890, his second goal, Holy Cross College, was well on its way to being realised. His first goal of establishing a training house had been thwarted by the economic depression at that time.
Br Alphonsus returned to New South Wales in 1895 and, amongst other things, continued his work with Holy Cross. He was both the main visionary and energy behind the building of the "new" college across the road - where it stands today. He returned to Ireland in 1899 and died there in 1933.
DwyerBrother Andrew Dwyer arrived in Sydney from Ireland in September 1884. He was twenty years of age.
Over the next seven years he was to be a pioneer Brother on three occasions: in 1884 a pioneer at Goulburn; in 1889 a pioneer of the Wagga Wagga Patrician community; and in November of 1890 a pioneer member of the Ryde community which was to establish Holy Cross College two months later.
In May of 1891 first principal of the college, Br Fintan O'Neill, moved to Wagga Wagga. Br Andrew Dwyer took over as principal. He was twenty-seven. With three other Brothers and only eight students it was not an onerous position.
Br Andrew was principal of Holy Cross for a total of nine years: 1891 to 1893 and 1899 to 1904. When he left, the college occupied today's Br Fintan O'Neill building. There were seven Brothers on the staff with around forty-five students.
GallagherBrother John Gallagher arrived in Sydney from Ireland in May of 1946 at the age of twenty-six and was immediately posted to Holy Cross College. He spent twenty consecutive years at Holy Cross and was then moved to Fairfield where he spent his last years in Australia before moving back to Ireland in 1968.
He was appointed principal of Holy Cross in 1954 to 1956 and then again from 1960 to 1965. It was during this second principalship that he brought new life to the college and saw it became a significant regional school in the district. He gave the college state-of-the-art classrooms and Science laboratories. In 1966 he was awarded a Membership of the British Empire (M.B.E.) for his services to education.
He returned to Ireland in 1968 and died there in August 2001 just after returning from a visit to Holy Cross.
HanniganBrother Aloysius Hannigan was born in Queensland in 1889 and became a Patrician Brother in 1906. He was the sixth Australian to join the Brothers, one year behind his brother Ignatius.
Br Aloysius became especially known for his piety and his ability to make friends. Amongst his friends were two ex-students who became NSW Premiers: Cahill and Renshaw.
He taught in most of the Patrician schools but spent most time at Holy Cross, ten of his twelve years there as principal during the war and picking up the pieces after the war: 1940 to 1943 and 1948 to 1953.
After five years as Novice Master at Wahroonga (1958 to 1962) he was moved to Redfern where he died at the age of seventy-five on the 1st July, 1964. He had been a Patrician for fifty-eight years.